We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Right from an early age, it is important to take an active role in your puppy’s health care. Here at the Airdrie Animal Health Centre, we are here to provide you with the information and care your puppy requires to grow up healthy. Vaccinating your puppy is the first step in preventative health care that you can provide for your puppy. Upon each visit for vaccines, the doctor will do a full physical exam to ensure that your puppy is healthy and able to be vaccinated safely.
Puppies, like adult dogs, require a couple of different vaccines. However, the intervals between vaccines are altered to allow your puppy to develop a strong immune response properly. Ideally, the distemper/parvo combo vaccine is administered at 8 weeks, with booster vaccines given at both 12 and 16 weeks of age. Bordetella can be given upon your first visit with your puppy at 8 weeks of age while rabies can be given starting at 16 weeks of age.
Why is it important to vaccinate your puppy?
Young animals such as puppies are particularly susceptible to diseases or infection due to a less developed immune system. Vaccinations help bolster your young dog’s immune system at an early age so that it has the proper defence mechanisms to fight back against diseases.
How should I prepare my puppy for its first vaccination visit?
At Airdrie Animal Health Centre, we always try and make your puppy’s visit a positive one. We are always grateful when clients bring previous medical records or vaccination histories to help us carry out the right decisions when administering vaccines.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
1. We are currently operating a "closed door" policy to protect our clients and staff. This means that clients will not be allowed to enter the building. When you arrive in our parking lot, please remain in your vehicle and call us at 403-948-2733. Our staff will come to you to collect your animal for their appointment. If you do not have a phone, or if your animal is experiencing an emergency, please knock on the door to alert our staff.
2. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday: 9:30 am - 4:00 pm and Saturday: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm.
3. At this time, appointments will only be booked when medically necessary. Any non-urgent appointment requests will be temporarily postponed. If you have an emergency that requires immediate attention, please proceed directly to McKnight 24 Hour Veterinary Hospital at 5010 – 4th Street NE, Calgary, AB and call 403-457-0911 to alert them of your arrival.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, please visit our website.
5. For the time being, credit cards are the preferred payment method. Debit cannot be accepted over the phone, but is available at time of pick up if ABSOLUTELY necessary. We will not be able to accept cash.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Airdrie Animal Health Centre